Username:

Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Facebook Topic: Gotta Love That Top Flight QB Play  (Read 493 times)
Frosty

^ Not a mature, adult-like avatar.

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2013, 02:47:10 PM »

The line held up today. Zero sacks with a few minutes left in the game. What are the excuses going to be this week for Tannehill? Again missed opportunity deep. Throws that were low and inaccurate all day long. Time to play the lottery and get this kid some competition. Its the same story with the Dolphins and the solution is simple. Find a play-making QB. Not a part time play-maker but someone who actually makes a difference on Sundays. Many will disagree and many will continue being wrong on what is the problem with this franchise.

Keep thinking that this team is a offensive line away from being really good.
Dphins4me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 02:51:38 PM »

Funny how you don't post on Sunday.  Unless that is Miami loses.
Dphins4me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 02:57:50 PM »

The line held up today. Zero sacks with a few minutes left in the game. What are the excuses going to be this week for Tannehill? Again missed opportunity deep. Throws that were low and inaccurate all day long. Time to play the lottery and get this kid some competition. Its the same story with the Dolphins and the solution is simple. Find a play-making QB. Not a part time play-maker but someone who actually makes a difference on Sundays. Many will disagree and many will continue being wrong on what is the problem with this franchise.

Keep thinking that this team is a offensive line away from being really good.
Tanny showed enough to build upon.  Did some good things & some bad things.  He is where I expected him to be in his development.   More TDs, than Int on the yr is a good sign.   Dropped passes are killing this team also.  You also brought up OL Protection. 1 game of being protected does not overcome 15 games of not being protected.

Wallace is a waste.  TD catch in his hands & he has to cradle it instead of catching with his hands.  Allowing the DB to put his arm in there.

Frosty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »

Funny how you don't post on Sunday.  Unless that is Miami loses.

Simply not true. But I guess when enough people keep saying it, it becomes fact.

Tanny showed enough to build upon.  Did some good things & some bad things.  He is where I expected him to be in his development.   More TDs, than Int on the yr is a good sign.   Dropped passes are killing this team also.  You also brought up OL Protection. 1 game of being protected does not overcome 15 games of not being protected.

Hes behind Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck. By quite a bit. Numbers alone tell us this fact (How about those dwindling numbers by Luck, Rich? Good call.).

Hes also behind Newton and Foles which, atleast in my opinion, are less talented than Tannehill. There is no excuse why Tannehill can't be putting up those type of numbers and leading his team to the post-season.

Just look at the last two weeks. Hes been worse than Chad Henne. That's hard to do.

As far as the protection goes, you guys know how I feel about that. Tannehill has as much to do with the sacks all season as the offensive line. Today, the line played well and Tannehill got the ball out of his hands quicker. Something he should of been doing all season considering how the offensive line wasn't producing. Good QB's help their O-lines. Tannehill isn't good enough to do that.

I'm worried about the future of the franchise. I'm hoping Miami drafts a QB to compete with Tannehill. It can't hurt. You cannot have enough talented QB's on the roster.

Wallace is a waste.  TD catch in his hands & he has to cradle it instead of catching with his hands.  Allowing the DB to put his arm in there.

So was Marshall, apparently. Its always someone elses fault other than the QB it seems.

The DB made a good play to knock the pass out. He was wide open earlier in the game and in typical Tannehill fashion, missed him. Atleast he didn't under throw it.
Dphins4me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 03:33:39 PM »

Simply not true. But I guess when enough people keep saying it, it becomes fact.
You must just get called into work on Sunday's that Miami wins.  What weird luck.

Hes behind Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck. By quite a bit. Numbers alone tell us this fact (How about those dwindling numbers by Luck, Rich? Good call.).
Yea, both with far most game experience.

Hes also behind Newton and Foles which, atleast in my opinion, are less talented than Tannehill. There is no excuse why Tannehill can't be putting up those type of numbers and leading his team to the post-season.
Maybe he should.  However, he did throw more Tds, than Ints this yr.

Just look at the last two weeks. Hes been worse than Chad Henne. That's hard to do.
Yea, & the wks prior he was one of the better in the league.

As far as the protection goes, you guys know how I feel about that. Tannehill has as much to do with the sacks all season as the offensive line. Today, the line played well and Tannehill got the ball out of his hands quicker. Something he should of been doing all season considering how the offensive line wasn't producing. Good QB's help their O-lines. Tannehill isn't good enough to do that.
Experienced Qb might.

I'm worried about the future of the franchise. I'm hoping Miami drafts a QB to compete with Tannehill. It can't hurt. You cannot have enough talented QB's on the roster.
Sure if its in Rd. 3.

So was Marshall, apparently. Its always someone elses fault other than the QB it seems.
Its not always the QB fault either.  Tanny hit Mathews right in the hands today with a wide open field in front of him.  Dropped pass.

The DB made a good play to knock the pass out. He was wide open earlier in the game and in typical Tannehill fashion, missed him. Atleast he didn't under throw it.
 My comment on Wallace is on the deep passes he cradles his arms like he is holding a baby.  That allows the DB to get his arms in there.  Plus it was his fault on the 1st pick today.  DB made a good play, but the DB cannot make that play if Wallace tried to catch the ball above his shoulders.
Frosty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 04:06:27 PM »

You must just get called into work on Sunday's that Miami wins.  What weird luck.

Like I said, the more people say it.....

Truth is, I've posted when the Dolphins have won this season. Why is this even relevant to what we're talking about anyway? (Cue the agenda post)

Yea, both with far most game experience.

Luck and Wilson started in the NFL at the same time as Tannehill. Unless you're willing to compare college starting experience to NFL starting experience, then that point is completely irrelevant.

However, he did throw more Tds, than Ints this yr.

I wish that fact was more encouraging than it actually sounds.

Yea, & the wks prior he was one of the better in the league.

When it really mattered, he came up short. All Miami had to do was win 2 games against bad teams and they would get into the post-season. Tannehill was bad during that small stretch and that holds more weight than what he did earlier in the season.

Experienced Qb might.

Experience does not always equal performance. We can point to Chad Henne as an example of that.

Sure if its in Rd. 3.

I'm OK with that. I wouldn't bat an eye if they drafted a QB in the first but in the 3rd is fine. The point is, he needs another talented guy in camp pushing him to play better.

Its not always the QB fault either.  Tanny hit Mathews right in the hands today with a wide open field in front of him.  Dropped pass.

No, but there is far greater sample size of Tannehill missing Wallace deep than his WR's dropping passes.

Its a trend with Tannehill, not his receivers.

My comment on Wallace is on the deep passes he cradles his arms like he is holding a baby.  That allows the DB to get his arms in there.  Plus it was his fault on the 1st pick today.  DB made a good play, but the DB cannot make that play if Wallace tried to catch the ball above his shoulders.

I think Wallace has received a bad rep (from myself at times) because he won't defy the laws of physics and stop on a dime (while running a 4.3 40 no less) and make a play on the ball. Even if hes at fault for that, I realize that he isn't that type of receiver. His job is to run past people and get open deep above anything else hes supposed to do.  He is doing his job. Why isn't Tannehill under the same scrutiny for not being able to deliver the pass when hes open?
Dphins4me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 04:27:32 PM »

Truth is, I've posted when the Dolphins have won this season. Why is this even relevant to what we're talking about anyway? (Cue the agenda post)
 Apparently I'm not the only one noticing the trend.  Lets just say you make a more of an effort to get here when they lose

Luck and Wilson started in the NFL at the same time as Tannehill. Unless you're willing to compare college starting experience to NFL starting experience, then that point is completely irrelevant.
Its not the same in comparison, but it is experience behind center, that Tanny does not have.

I wish that fact was more encouraging than it actually sounds.
If I would have told you Tanny would throw more Tds than Ints by something like 6 back in Aug. you would have been happy.  Face it.  You want a Tom Bradyish type Qb to step in & become a stud right off the bat.

BTW, the SB winning QB from last yr threw more Int than Tds this yr.

When it really mattered, he came up short. All Miami had to do was win 2 games against bad teams and they would get into the post-season. Tannehill was bad during that small stretch and that holds more weight than what he did earlier in the season.  
 Without his performance against the Pats, then this is a non issue.

Experience does not always equal performance. We can point to Chad Henne as an example of that.
 Agree, but to simply point to Henne would be incorrect.

I'm OK with that. I wouldn't bat an eye if they drafted a QB in the first but in the 3rd is fine. The point is, he needs another talented guy in camp pushing him to play better.
Do not believe he needs someone to push him to play better.  Believe he has that internally.  However, a backup plan is not a bad thing.

No, but there is far greater sample size of Tannehill missing Wallace deep than his WR's dropping passes.

Its a trend with Tannehill, not his receivers.
 50 yds throws are not easy & if Miami fans watched more than just Miami they would know that.

I think Wallace has received a bad rep (from myself at times) because he won't defy the laws of physics and stop on a dime (while running a 4.3 40 no less) and make a play on the ball. Even if hes at fault for that, I realize that he isn't that type of receiver. His job is to run past people and get open deep above anything else hes supposed to do.  He is doing his job. Why isn't Tannehill under the same scrutiny for not being able to deliver the pass when hes open?
 Because its 50 yds down field.  That is not an easy pass.  If you checked out the stats of down field passes, more than not are missed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 05:21:50 PM by Dphins4me » Logged
KYfinfan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 05:01:44 PM »

I think Tannehill has a lot of potential but I don't have the highest confidence that he will become an elite QB.  I'm not sure where the alleged love affair with Tannehill on this message board is supposedly coming from. I think most every poster has pretty fair with Tannehill. Not one person that I recall says he's played great this year. He's played well at times and he's played poorly at times. He seems to play the level of his competition. How do you beat a Brady and Roethliberger led team then the next two weeks lose to Thad Lewis and Geno Smith led teams? 

Agree on Tannehill but not on Wallace. Good point about his TD:INT ratio.  I do think that bad OL has forced Tannehill into some bad habits. At times he seems a little jumpy.  They have to solidify the OL and give Tannehill a better shot to develop.

I do think Wallace has opened up the offense. Too bad Tannehill throws a poor deep ball and Wallace is a bit soft in fighting for the balls.  They definitely paid too much for Wallace. If Tannehill was a bit more accurate on his deep balls I think it would've been almost a nonissue even though I think most would still agree whe was still overpaid.
Dphins4me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 06:12:58 PM »

I do think Wallace has opened up the offense. Too bad Tannehill throws a poor deep ball and Wallace is a bit soft in fighting for the balls.  They definitely paid too much for Wallace. If Tannehill was a bit more accurate on his deep balls I think it would've been almost a nonissue even though I think most would still agree whe was still overpaid.
The point on Wallace is on those deep passes his hands are below his shoulders.  That allows the DB an easy way to break up the pass.
STORK48
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 06:58:23 PM »

The point on Wallace is on those deep passes his hands are below his shoulders.  That allows the DB an easy way to break up the pass.

Or to put it in simple terms, he doesn't fight for the ball. He waits for it to land in his hands.

"Recession is your neighbor losing his job, depression is you losing your job, recovery is Obama losing his job."
KenInBoca
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 10:10:04 PM »

Or to put it in simple terms, he doesn't fight for the ball. He waits for it to land in his hands.

Ted Ginn Jr anyone?
RTW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 10:54:08 PM »

Ted Ginn Jr anyone?
Wallace doesn't return kicks, and neither one has a game next weekend.  Ginn will be practicing this week though.

Other than that they're virtual clones.

"America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership."

- Barack Obama
Frosty

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 07:38:23 PM »

Its not the same in comparison.

Exactly. Which is why I said that point about his college starting experience is irrelevant. He has the SAME amount of time starting as Russel and Luck in the NFL. That's what matters.

If I would have told you Tanny would throw more Tds than Ints by something like 6 back in Aug. you would have been happy.  Face it.  You want a Tom Bradyish type Qb to step in & become a stud right off the bat.

I would of been happy IF those numbers led to a play-off appearance. Taking those numbers as face values doesn't do anything for me because I know how his season ended. 1 TD 3 INT's the last two games.

I would love it if Tannehill could play like Brady/Manning. Who the hell wouldn't? Is it realistic? No. My standards are not THAT high. I'm simply asking why can't be perform like his peers that were drafted around the time he was.

BTW, the SB winning QB from last yr threw more Int than Tds this yr.

And? Have you taken a look at his numbers last season? Thats the level of QB play that should be expected from ANY franchise QB. Is that really unreasonable?

Without his performance against the Pats, then this is a non issue.

Which he deserves all the credit in the world for. Even against Pitt (Which I don't think he had that great of a game), the numbers were good. However, the last two games he came up short/choked/sucked whatever adjective you want to attach to it. Those two games were against lesser opponents and the games mattered most.
Dphins4me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »

Exactly. Which is why I said that point about his college starting experience is irrelevant. He has the SAME amount of time starting as Russel and Luck in the NFL. That's what matters.
Nice cut & paste BTW.

Its not the same in comparing college to NFL, but it is experience behind center learning to read a D & making plays.  That is valuable experience they both had coming into the NFL.

You actually think those 3 came into the NFL at the same starting point?

I would of been happy IF those numbers led to a play-off appearance. Taking those numbers as face values doesn't do anything for me because I know how his season ended. 1 TD 3 INT's the last two games.
What have you done for me lately.  Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight I get it.  Lets just forget the positives & focus on the negatives.   Lets grade him soley based on a game in bad weather & a game where he had a knee issue.

I would love it if Tannehill could play like Brady/Manning. Who the hell wouldn't? Is it realistic? No. My standards are not THAT high. I'm simply asking why can't be perform like his peers that were drafted around the time he was.
Meant a QB that steps into the NFL is off an running.  Does not happen often.

Which he deserves all the credit in the world for. Even against Pitt (Which I don't think he had that great of a game), the numbers were good. However, the last two games he came up short/choked/sucked whatever adjective you want to attach to it. Those two games were against lesser opponents and the games mattered most.

The whole team underperformed in both games offense & defense, not just Tanny.
Frosty

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »

That is valuable experience they both had coming into the NFL.

Is it? Cam Newton part deux.

You actually think those 3 came into the NFL at the same starting point?

Yes. All three started for the first time in the NFL last season. Thats what matters.

Lets just forget the positives & focus on the negatives.   Lets grade him soley based on a game in bad weather & a game where he had a knee issue.

Its not that at all Scot. Its about calling it like it is. Despite Miami's weaknesses, they were better QB play away from getting into the post-season. You can't use the bad weather excuse because Tannehill went up to Pitt in a snow storm and put up good numbers.

Plain and simple, he played poorly when it mattered.

I haven't looked at the numbers during the 4 game losing streak but I bet he didn't look so hot during that stretch as well. To think, this team started 3-0.

The whole team underperformed in both games offense & defense, not just Tanny.

Starts and ends with the QB. You know better than that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: