Username:

Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Facebook Topic: Dolphins Sign Les Brown - VERY interesting  (Read 527 times)
Frosty

^ Not a mature, adult-like avatar.

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »

The Miami Dolphins haven't bee too active during the 2012 NFL Free Agency period, but that have brought in a couple of veteran players like David Garrard, Gary Guyton, and Tyrell Johnson. They've also signed a former Westminister basketball player to play tight end, according to a report by Sports Illustrated's Tony Pauline.

Tony Pauline @TonyPauline

Former Westminister basketball player Les Brown signed with Miami Dolphins today..starred at BYU pro-day on 3/29: sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tů
    13 Apr 12

Retweet
        Favorite

The 6'4" 238 pound Brown played small forward for Westminister and worked out for NFL Scouts at BYU's Pro Day. With a sprained ankle, Brown ran a 4.44 in the 40-yard dash, measured a 39-inch vertical jump and 10-3 broad jump. He turned the heads of a lot of scouts, especially the Dolphins who have signed Brown to play tight end.

For more on the Dolphins and their offseason moves, check out The Phinsider. Keep up with all the free agency news in the NFL at SB Nation's NFL hub.

Click Here

NFL Tight End Prospect Les Brown V - Tribute to Hard Work

Every year before and during camp, I always end up rooting for a long shot to make the team. I was on the Bess bandwagon when he was picked up as an UDFA and I lead the charge to keep Philip Livas and Chris Williams on the team in recent years. While its still early and we haven't even hit mini-camps yet, I think I've found my next man-crush. It should be very interesting to see how Brown stacks up in camp with the rest of the bunch. Miami is probably going to draft a TE which would put 3 players ahead of him to make the team IMO. Should be fun to watch this off-season.
Frosty

^ Not a mature, adult-like avatar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 10:03:09 AM »

Small | Large
!
BigFinFan
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »

How are we able to sign this guy before the draft?
Red Flag, Jim

I Bleed Aqua and Orange

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 02:55:23 PM »

How are we able to sign this guy before the draft?
My question also

" Everyday is Saturday when you're retired"
KYfinfan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 12:30:15 AM »

I'm guessing it has something to do with being out of high school for 6 years.  Are you only draft eligible right out of college?
dice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:57:16 AM »

I recognize the name ... maybe because he had a brother who played football at BYU.  Les played football in HS but then went to Westminster (not two i's in the spelling) for basketball.  I don't think he ever played college football.

He certainly put up some nice numbers.  Even the bench press numbers can be improved if he is committed.  On the football side he looks very raw.  On the clips of him running routes, his first step off the line is almost always a backwards jab step.  That's natural for a lot of people, but a point usually eliminated at some level, esp. when guys train with the speed and strength guys for workouts.

He looks like an extreme longshot to me.  Perhaps a PS player ... don't think Miami can hold roster spots for two raw TE's (Clay still needs a lot of development).
Dphins4me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »

I'm guessing it has something to do with being out of high school for 6 years.  Are you only draft eligible right out of college?
Correct, I's say his draft class has already graduated, so he was already a UDFA.
LUDUPORCU

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:30:14 AM »

Correct, I's say his draft class has already graduated, so he was already a UDFA.

He never played football in college, so he's ineligible for the Draft.

I myself wonder about him, in a good sense. Everyone should look at his "measureables" first. He's 6'4"/240ish, w/a 39" vertical, a 10'3" broad jump, good "drills" and good enough #s on the weights. He also has a 4.43 "40". This suggests something other than a TE to me: it suggests a potentially somewhat bigger and faster BRANDON MARSHALL, who is intelligent, "hungry", hard-working, focused, and w/o baggage. If Coach PHILBIN and his staff aren't at all afraid of so-called "projects", why not try BROWN out at WR, w/an eye toward finding MARSHALL's replacement?

What do you think? Especially since, in PHILBIN's system at GB, his TE was often lined up split, as a flanker anyway. Having a TE-sized WR on the field might do well for the running game as well as the passing game.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:37:31 AM by LUDUPORCU » Logged
eleaf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 05:31:47 PM »

This guy is an athlete who is a project. He's a long-shot to make the team. It's likely that he's being looked at to see if he might be a good fit for the practice squad, and any real enthusiasm for this guy is way premature.

A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.

What's the odds of us gettin' Arby's at half?
  -Brett Favre

LUDUPORCU

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 01:17:02 PM »

This guy is an athlete who is a project. He's a long-shot to make the team. It's likely that he's being looked at to see if he might be a good fit for the practice squad, and any real enthusiasm for this guy is way premature.

If he shows enough to get a spot on the Practice Squad, someone'll take a flyer on him and MIAMI'll lose him.
NC Mike

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »

If he shows enough to get a spot on the Practice Squad, someone'll take a flyer on him and MIAMI'll lose him.

Yeah, and it'll probably be the Jests or Patsies

Henne may not be here, but my gnome's name is Chad !!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: